How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a departed family member or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: your used hearing aids should be donated rather than getting rid of.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to people who need them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can do it.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
First, here are some important stats about loss of hearing and hearing aids in the US:
- Around 14% of the overall population, has hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are above 50 years old
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of those over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
This is very worrisome. Because health issues like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated hearing loss. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is supported by new studies coming out regularly. These health issues can be avoided and in some instances reversed by hearing aids.
And the final persuasive point is that hearing loss can cost the typical family $12,000 in income every year. But that cost can actually be reduced by up to 50% by using hearing aids.
It might not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your used hearing aid can make a tremendous effect, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for a person in need who could not otherwise afford a hearing aid. It may also help a child in school that has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to enter into higher education and make a decent living when they get older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the right recycling choice for you. Or give us a call.